Upcoming Training, Events, Workshops, and Teleclasses
Show, Don’t Tell
May 18, 2017, 6:30 p.m.
Tallahassee Writers Association Monthly Meeting, American Legion Hall at Lake Ella
One of the great mantras is writing is “show, don’t tell,” the concept of using language to help the reader experience the story rather than through the author’s summary or description. But this is harder than it looks. So hard, in fact, even well-known authors such as Orson Scott Card believe it should only be used for select dramatic scenes.
This interactive workshop will use examples from published books and draft manuscripts to help authors identify places in their story where showing rather than telling can be effective, how to balance readability with experience and hone their self-editing skills to improve their ability to create experiences for readers.
Participants are encouraged to bring samples of their own writing, but not necessary. Members, non-members, all writers welcome.
The 45-minute workshop will be directed by professional editor and creativity coach Gina Edwards and multiple award-winning fiction author Sam Staley.
The power of “story” is undeniable. Whether you are writing memoir, self-help, essays, fiction, how-to–all of it is best told through story. Stories can change perspective, change lives, change the world. At STORY CAMP, we will explore the aspects of a good story and the skills to accomplish it. Those who know me, realize I can’t do any workshops or lessons without some discussion of the author mindset, so we’ll talk about that too.
This retreat is for you if you:
- need to escape from your everyday obligations to feed your desire to write
- want greater clarity about your book idea and some tools to keep you writing when you get home
- have any type of writing project you need to start or finish
- would simply like to escape and unplug from your day-to-day so that you can refresh your creative spirit
Structured and unstructured time, with writing and creativity workshops each morning and each afternoon, surrounded by plenty of time for writing, relaxing, destressing, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, giving yourself time to reclaim your creative voice in a safe, encouraging, and supportive environment.
Our kids go to camp, so why can’t we?!
The retreat begins in:
Free Author Education Series: CONVERSATIONS Around the Writer's Table features interviews and discussions with authors, experts, and thought leaders in the writing and publishing world.
- 30 minutes of discussion, followed by 30 minutes of open question and answer.
- Authors and publishing professionals share training, tips, and advice, then you get to ask questions to the show's guests directly!
- Calls are the third Wednesday of each month, at 7pm (Eastern).
- Sign up here to receive dial-in information, announcements about future guests, reminders about the call times, and links to the replays. Click HERE!
Writing Support, Accountability, and Mastermind Group: Please email Gina@AroundTheWritersTable.com for the next start date for this three-month group.